To my atheist friends:
Let’s talk about your dirty little secret: the belief in uniformitarianism. Feel free to respond in the comments. Here is my main point –
- You don’t get to disprove the Bible’s history by using today’s observances.
Here is a little more information:
- You believe the earth is old because you believe in radiometric dating’s decay rates that are constant in the present.
- You believe geologic formations have formed slowly because they form slowly today.
- You believe in evolution in part because you believe fossils collected slowly in various rock strata.
- You believe this “overwhelming evidence” disproves the Bible’s claims of a 6-day creation approx. 6000 years ago. Therefore the Bible is untrustworthy, therefore untrue, therefore there is no God. (pretty much)
Did you catch the common thread in the first three bullet points? They all required a uniformitarianism belief. You were FORCED to believe that the unobserved past behaved in the same fashion that we see today. And you used that belief to say the Bible is untrue.
BUT the Bible doesn’t adhere to a uniform history! This is the point I believe most of you miss. We are painting a different picture…
- If God really created in six days, we would expect a certain level of built-in age in the original creation (Adam would not have been an infant, trees would be fully grown, etc)
- If God really cursed the world following original sin, we would expect that things work differently now than before the curse (no death, no disease, etc)
- If God really flooded the world during Noah’s time, we would expect to find billions of dead things buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the world (fossils) in a quick time frame
These are three events, that if they happened the way the Bible reads, would violate every uniformitarian assumption from above. So again – the overall point is: today’s observed slow processes are not enough to invalidate a recent creation / young earth unless you subscribe to uniformitarianism – an unprovable assumption that requires faith.
My atheist friends – you require just as much faith as you accuse me of! True, I can’t prove my assumptions either – but that just goes to show how issues of origins cannot and will not ever be settled scientifically. We all use faith. You are no more rational than me. And, now it’s your turn for a response…